OSC broadcast not received on other computer

Steps causing the bug to occur

I have the following setup: a MacBook that is running VUO with the IP-Address 192.168.178.42, an AirportExtreme with the IP-Address 192.168.178.251 and 6 iPads connected wireless to the Airport with the IP-Addresses 192.168.178.151 thru 192.168.178.156. I run a very simple comp to send text values i.e. “P1”/“P2”/“P3” with OSC to ALL iPads on the Port 10011 (in QC i use 192.168.178.255 with an external OSC Plugin and this is working). If i use “Makle OSC IP Output” setted to one of the iPads IP and Port, it is working fine, but reaches only one of the iPads,( as expected ;)) If i use an “Make OSC Output” with the correct Port, it is not working, also if i set the IP-Adress of the “Makle OSC IP Output” to 192.168.178.255, i can not broadcast the OSC commands. I attached the comp with the different Make OSCs Do anyone know how i can broadcast the OSC to all the iPads / other devices in the network ???

How did the result differ from what you expected?

Make OSC Output should be received on the iPads.

OSC_Test.vuo (5.3 KB)

In the iPad app that is supposed to receive the OSC messages, does Vuo show up in its list of hosts? (Or if your app doesn’t provide a list of hosts, what about an app such as Discovery?)

I just did a super brief test with TouchOSC on a single iPad and your test composition. With Make OSC Output, “Vuo OSC Client” does show up TouchOSC’s list of hosts.

[Below is jens’s post from 2016.01.15 06:19, converted from answer to comment]

ok, today i had the time to continue with some more testing, i use an VUO Sender comp and an VUO comp to receive… with the same result, if i use Make OSC IP Output, the second machine with the receiver comp receives the OSC Data perfectly, if i use the Make OSC Output in the sender comp the receiver can see the client in the List of the Input Devices(see the Image attached) but i do not get any Data out of the outputport of the Get Message Values Node.

The interesting thing is, if i run the 2 compositions on the same machine it is working. For this reason i tried also different hardware setups of the network, i.e. with and without router, switches … with always the same result, with Make OSC IP Output i can receive the data, with the Make OSC Output no data received.

i attached the comps withe a settings csv and an custom node for the sender in the zip and the screenshot of the List OSC Devices.

VUO OSC test.zip (143 KB)

jens, thanks for the test compositions. I was able to reproduce the problem here. As you said, when the sender and receiver are on the same computer, Make OSC Output works OK. When the sender and receiver are on different computers, Make OSC IP Output works but Make OSC Output doesn’t.

I did some testing with Wireshark to narrow down the problem. It seems to be on the sending composition’s side. With Make OSC Output, the sending computer isn’t actually sending any OSC data over the network. Whereas, with Make OSC IP Output, the sending computer is sending OSC data and the receiving computer is receiving it, as expected. So this looks like a bug in Make OSC Output.

Fixed in 1.2.2. From the release notes:

Fixed issue when broadcasting OSC messages using Make OSC Output where it would broadcast only to the default network interface (which on some system configurations is the loopback interface, defeating the purpose of broadcasting).

When sending OSC using the Make OSC IP Output node, added support for entering broadcast IP addresses into that node’s input ports. Now, when you use that node, if you enter a unicast IP address, it unicasts, and if you enter a broadcast IP address, it broadcasts (instead of merely unicasting to this host’s IP address within the specified broadcast range).