OSC not received until restart after crash

Steps causing the bug to occur

After a Vuo crash Vuo will not receive OSC messages (on localhost) until the computer is restarted.
1.If Vuo crashes during programming
2. Vuo and program receiving and replying to OSC messages from Vuo restarted.
3. Other program shows OSC received and replies sent, but Vuo receives no OSC.

Have you found a workaround?

Restarting computer

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.0.2
  • macOS version: OS X 10.10
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

This has happened consistently on 3 occasions tonight

Hi I have some new information on this.

1. composition called array3 crashes during editing with spinning beachball
  2. Vuo force quitted
  3. In activity monitor a Vuo composition loader is still active e.g. arrays3-0Qjt6z meaning that when Vuo is restarted it cannot receive OSC
  4. arrays3-0Qjt6z force quit in activity monitor
  5. Vuo restarted now receives OSC.

I hope that makes sense.

Mic,

Thanks for the additional information. Could you send us a crash report? Instructions on how to do that are included on the helpful bug report page. You mention that it has happened consistently. Does that mean you can reproduce it? If so, please send us the steps and a composition that causes it to happen.

I’ll try and catch the logs if it happens again. My bug report wan’t about the specific crashes though. It was that if you force quit Vuo then the Vuo composition loader remains active (and if there is no output window it is completely hidden ) until the computer is restarted or until it is terminated in activity monitor.

Because this is attached to the OSC port on localhost e.g.127.0.0.1:53001 when the composition is reopened in Vuo a new composition loader is started when it is run (also hidden), but this new composition loader cannot connect to the port because it in use in the ghost Composition Loader.

Simple composition attached

1. Load composition and run
  2. Monitor OSC received
  3. Force Quit composition
  4. Because Composition does not have an output window the composition loader, which is still running, and will prevent the composition from receiving OSC next time it is run, is hidden and can’t be quit without accessing the activity monitor…

OSC send and receive.vuo (2.82 KB)

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Mic,

We agree that Vuo should handle this situation more gracefully. We have created a feature request, Provide a way for Vuo Editor to stop already running compositions. Since this is a future enhancement, we’re going to close this bug report.