Play MIDI files (vuo.midi.play.file)

I would like to see a MIDI file player similar to the vuo.audio.file.play node so we could play standard MIDI files back. Currently midi input works only in real-time which makes it difficult to export movies based on midi events that are rendered offline.

If we could play back MIDI files, the resulting midi note and controller events could be processed offline while rendering at high resolutions. By connecting the Image Generator protocol time input to the time input of the midi file player, the midi events would be triggered as the frames of the composition are rendered offline.

Thanks for the suggestion, @lechbialek. Opened for voting.

We’ve decided to make it a Pro feature based on our guidelines, How do you determine which features are only in Vuo Pro?, as we see it being most useful in conjunction with a MIDI sequencer.

If you think it should be a pro feature, sure, though “most useful in conjunction with a midi sequencer” gets a red flag. Midi data is versatile. Be nice to have a midi player and recorder in Vuo!  

1 Like

The reason I added ten votes for this last night, is that I think it would increase the usability of VUO as an offline rendering system immensely.

Jaymie, I was trying to figure out how to make a video of the midi based composition I sent you, and also capture audio at the same time. Or, how to render it offline and then join the audio to it. Basically…”how do I make a video of this with audio, whether offline or live capture”. The feature that creates movies from the Viewer, seems to not be able to be configured to capture audio.

I guess that with audio, there is the “play audio file” node…which I have not used yet with the offline render, but I am guessing works. With MIDI, I can’t think of any way to do this. In QC, Value Historian helped a lot by being able to be used for offline renders, after capturing this kind of data.

It is really hard to think of a workflow to use VUO to make videos of audio visualization or midi visualization. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done of course, it only means I haven’t figured it out.

If VUO could render offline while outputting values from a MIDI file, then a DAW linear editor could essentially be used as a linear editor for VUO values. That would be amazingly powerful.

1 Like

See the thread and example here for Save Frames To Movie with audio: https://community.vuo.org/t/-/6225

@George_Toledo Thanks for voting!

You basically describe my workflow ;) I have Logic and Vuo hooked up via MIDI (IAC driver) and pipe audio through Sound flower into Vuo. I can record live into Syphon Recorder but when I can’t run my composition in realtime I need to jump through hoops to get Vuo do my bidding.

Currently as a workaround I use the “Record and Play Values” node to record incoming MIDI data live to CSV files. While rendering the Vuo composition offline I switch the “Record and Play Values” node to playback. After rendering I add the audio in Quicktime or FCP.

However this way it can be a little difficult to exactly match the starting point of the recorded MIDI data, this can be overcome by adding an offset time (add a number) so both start at the required time.

1 Like