Read a PDF from a FFGL Plugin

Hi Community! I have a quick question for you all.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to load a PDF file trough a FFGL plugin runner by resolume arena.

A client has an immersive venue and he needs to be able to show PDF files in the floor. Since the venue was mapped in resolume, I thought that is a great idea to make an interface on VUO so he will be able to drag and drop each PDF directly to resolume running this FFGL plugin.

I hope this is possible! Thanks in advance

Make Image from Web Page can display a PDF file, so that part is fairly straightforward. It does add a gray border around the image, which you can crop out.

To drag and drop the PDF file, one possibility would be to use a Receive File Drags node, like in this composition:

DisplayPdf.vuo (9.4 KB)

In the above composition, the windows get a bit complicated. The composition opens a separate window for receiving the drags. When Resolume launches, it actually opens two windows for the plugin. Once you add the plugin to a layer, one of the two windows gets the size and crosshairs configured in the composition, so you can tell it’s the active one. You can close the other window to get it out of the way. When you drop a PDF file onto the remaining window, the image shows up in Resolume’s display.

A different approach, which does not open a separate window, would be to publish the Make Image from Web Page node’s Load URL input port. In Resolume, you would enter the PDF file’s path into the Load URL parameter. One way to get the file path would be to drag and drop the PDF file onto a TextEdit window set to plain text. Then you would copy-paste that into the parameter.

Hi Jaymie, thank you so much for your fast reply!

I’m testing that comp that you shared and seems like the content is stuck. I’m scrolling trough the PDF but it doesn’t change in Resolume

I’m not sure what you mean by “scrolling through”, but maybe it will help to realize that the Crop Image Pixels in the composition keeps the top left of the Make Image from Web Page node’s output and crops out the rest. If the PDF’s size is different from the size you want to render it in Resolume, you may need to modify the cropping in Vuo.