Receive Live Audio node causing crashing/non responsiveness in VDMX 9.9.2.0 on Sonoma

Steps to reproduce the bug

Drag the linked Vuo file With-Module-With-Audio.vuo into VDMX or any file that has a Receive Live Audio node.

Have you found a workaround?

Export as FFGL but then I get multiple “instances” of the plugin running in activity monitor and don’t know if that’s normal/expected. (Another topic)

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.4
  • macOS version: Sonoma 14.3.1
  • Mac model and CPU: Apple M1 Max
  • Have you been able to reproduce the bug? Yes
  • How severely does this bug affect you? Quite a bit :grimacing:

Hello! Long time :) I’ve upgraded to Sonoma, upgraded to the latest version of VDMX 9.9.2.0 (as this is apparently the most stable) and also upgraded to Vuo 2.4.4.

VDMX 9.9.2.0 has the latest Vuo Framework. (I have not yet rolled back VDMX or Vuo to an earlier version on Sonoma)

I was getting crashes/freezing with my current VDMX projects. My workflow was:

Uninstall Vuo 2.4.1
Uninstall VDMX 8.7.2.14
Delete all leftover files, restart etc.

Fresh install of VDMX 9.9.2.0
Fresh install of Vuo 2.4.4

Open up each Vuo file (after making a backup) and save all Vuo files and Modules as 2.4.4

Start up VDMX 9.9.2.0 with newly updated Vuo files linked, and VDMX is not happy.

After some tests I found an issue with the Receive Live Audio node. When that node is in a file it crashes. I did a (slightly painful, sorry) screen capture here with included files used.

Happy to post on VDMX forum too, not sure if the issue is Vuo or VDMX.

This folder has the above screen capture, two test files (identical except one includes the Receive Live Audio) and the modules.

Thanks!

I’ve replied over at the VIDVOX forum… but basically multiple (x2) Vuo FFGL plugins are being automatically run by VDMX when it opens regardless of if they are included in the current VDMX project. No comment on your Vuo comp as yet as I will test it in the studio on M1 / M2.

Thank you! I’m just doing some further testing, don’t really understand the FFGL thing as it loads additional instances (more than 2) each time I trigger it in the bin. Will carry this convo on the VDMX forum so it is not fragmented :grimacing:

I can confirm the Vuo audio node issue does not happen in VDMX 8.8.0.9, which loads all my Vuo 2.4.4 comps just fine. Suggest’s in an issue with 9.9.2.0.

As a workaround, you could try turning on “Run Vuo files in separate processes” in VDMX.

Another possible workaround would be to do the audio input and analysis within VDMX, then pass the resulting numbers into the Vuo composition through published input ports.

In any case, since you noticed that the behavior changed between VDMX versions, it’s good that you’re following up on their forum.

Thanks, @Joëlle and @2bitpunk for investigating and narrowing down the problem.