Render fullscreen different time issue

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Run my supplied composition, (moving triangles are rendered intentionally at greater FPS to create smooth feedback)
  2. notice the time on bottom of display, and also the speed of triangle movement
  3. make composition full screen, notice that triangles move slower as does time
  4. use QuickTimeX to record screen, do same full screen as before, time moves correctly, is NOT faster when fullscreen

Have you found a workaround?

No

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.3
  • macOS version: OS X 10.9
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It’s annoying but I can work around it.

I have supplied the composition I was working on, however I also wanted to supply a video of this issue, however I also found that when I used QuickTimeX to record the screen the issue was not present? Maybe it is rendering the screen differently when using QuickTimeX, thus the issue is not present?

Please note that I am intentionally firing the movement of the triangle super fast, so as to create a very very fluid movement and feedback. Issue is most pronounced when firing at about 700FPS.

It is very strange that it works correctly when rendering is happening when QuickTimeX is also recording screen?

Vuo is reporting that events are being dropped when I check, maybe events are not dropped enough when composition is fullscreen by itself? I would prefer events to be dropped consistently? If possible?

Render_Fullscreen_timeissue.vuo (9.68 KB)

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 5.10.07 pm.jpg

Changing the firing (drop to enqueue) of the temporal oversampling does not cause any change in behaviour. So I don’t think it could be what I suggested. I have no idea.

The performance seems to be very system-dependent, or at least, we tested on 2 other computers and got different results from yours and each other’s.

On one computer, the composition ran faster in a window than in fullscreen (same as yours). But taking a screen recording with QuickTime Player X slowed it down, both for windowed and fullscreen.

On a different computer, the composition ran faster in fullscreen than in a window. Taking a screen recording with QuickTime slowed it down in both cases.

I don’t know of anything we can do about this at the moment, since it varies so much across different computers. Tell you what — For Vuo 1.3, we’re working on some major changes to the graphics system, which should improve performance on at least some systems. I’m going to close this bug report for now, but let us know if you’re still seeing a big difference in windowed vs. fullscreen performance after the 1.3 release.