Sacred Geometry

Greetings

I’m creating some Sacred Geometry patterns for a project relating to meditation and chakras.

In the attached SacredGeometry.png I’m wanting to ultimately create shapes and patterns as shown by the red, blue and finally green outlines.

Starting with red

My approach for this is to use a 3D Torus object (or image layer but in my current example it’s a 3D Object) and use the Copy 3D Object node (or Copy Layer node if an image layer is used) to make copies - and then scale, rotate and position said object or image layer. Before I continue I wanted to check if this is the right way of thinking about this? See Geom_01.png for this current approach.

Then moving on to blue

For these Platonic Solids I’ve use the following nodes to create some of the shapes so far.

HEXAHEDRON: Make Cube node

ICOSAHEDRON: Make Icosphere node with 0 or 1 subdivisions

SPHERE: Make Sphere node

But for TETRAHEDRON, STAR TETRAHEDRON, OCTAHEDRON, DODECAHEDRON - the stv.GenRegular nodes do not work in Vuo 2 of course. Is there another way to achieve this aside from using images? I was looking at formulas in Supershapes but didn’t find ones for the more geometric shapes.

Images would work ok as they don’t need to be fully 3D, at least for version 1. But wanted to check I’m not missing something? Would be SUPER COOL to have nodes to create these structures, I think there’s a FR somewhere that I need to add votes to.

Ultimate goal is the green outline

Where in my head it’s probably a combo of Copy 3D Object or Copy Layer, Make Points along Line + whatever solution I go with for the TETRAHEDRON, STAR TETRAHEDRON, OCTAHEDRON, DODECAHEDRON.

Would be good to know if I’m going in the right direction with my approach as well as if there is an alternative to using an image for those 4 Platonic Solids listed above.

Cheers!

1 Like

Checking quickly, no time to dive into it, need to go to work.

Some quick points that come to my mind :

• You don’t need to use a torus for a circle, you can use the “Parametric Points” node (see sample).
  • If flat objects, the best would be to load a list of points I guess. Either you know the points, or you could try to extract them from an SVG file, and try to save the object vertices into a list, and use those lists later for each object (see beta file).
  • Or maybe you can find some parametric or equations for this and use make points objects or make lines object nodes, for those you can’t simply recreate with spheres like you did with the circles inside the circle.
  • For 3D objects, probably you could find those platonic objects on the web as 3D models and load them simply into Vuo ?

Maybe these points might help, maybe will find more time to dig deeper ;)

PS: Of course the SVG feature requests will help a lot for this I guess (“of course” and “I guess” in the same sentence ;))

Cheers  

Polygons.zip (7.98 KB)

Been thinking about this, SVG extraction is quite tricky until official feature request is implemented. Also I’m not able to make curves, so only straight angles, so you still need to manually make circles for curves.
Don’t you think your best bet, if you can’t find some position lists on the web, would be to recreate those shapes in a vector design app like sketch, check the coordinates of the points in the app, and get them to match the -1 / +1 Vuo Canvas coordinates ?

@Bodysoulspirit Thanks for all of this and the sample files!

Today I went down the path of importing 3D objects into Vuo for the Platonic Solids, it works great. I got a bit stuck as for some of them I needed more than one Transform 3D Object node (attached) if I wanted to rotate the X AND the Y for example. Doing X + Y in the same node wasn’t giving me the expected results and I thought there was something wrong with the model!

I agree that creating the shapes in Sketch and getting the points coordinates is a good shout, giving that a go tomorrow.

Thanks for the time spent to give this some thought!