Select Input Node... How do I do 16 inputs properly???

OK, I’m running into an issue I can’t quite seem to figure out, it may just be that I’m stuck on the way I used to do it in QC with the Multiplexer node where I could pick as many inputs as I needed. Here’s the situation, I have 16 buttons on a touch screen, the plan is for each button to trigger an image (composite image) or video to display on another screen. In QC I would have just made each button trigger the corresponding Source Index value of a 16 channel multiplexer and just send the output to the proper billboard. However in Vuo I’m finding myself a little bit limited as I can only choose various 2 or 8 channel Select Input nodes not a 16 channel Select Input node like I need. Originally I was thinking of using two 8 channel Select Input nodes (2x8ch = 16 channels) but because of the way the node rounds lower than value 1 numbers to 1 and higher than value 8 numbers to 8 instead of just ignoring input I can’t seem to figure out how to do it without also triggering a value on the wrong 8 channel Select Input node… please help.

It would be perfect if these nodes allowed you to choose how many inputs you wanted instead of only being 2 or 8 inputs.

If the button presses are coming from outside of Vuo, such as TouchOSC, and each is identified with an index (1-16), you can use Get Item from List in place of Select Input, as shown below and in “Get Item From List as Select.vuo”. Get Item from List allows for 16 or even more choices.

Get Item From List as Select.png

If the button presses are coming from Vuo’s Make Button node, you can use a combination of two 8-input Select Latest nodes and a 2-input Select Latest node, as shown below and in “Select Latest with names.vuo”.

Select Latest with names.png

“Select Latest with indices.vuo” additionally shows how to convert a Make Button press to a numerical index (1-16), use the index to check if you should show an image or a movie frame (Select Output), and use the index again to choose the image or movie file (Get Item from List).

Related feature request: Select and OSC nodes with variable number of ports.

Get Item From List as Select.vuo (3.54 KB)

Select Latest with names.vuo (4.23 KB)

Select Latest with indices.vuo (6.85 KB)

Related feature request: Select and OSC nodes with variable number of ports.

Ah ok never even understood that FR was about that because somehow I had misread it and thought it was OSC only related.
Perhaps it could be something like “Allow more inputs (user defined) for the 2 or 8 inputs nodes (Select Nodes, OSC …)”

Don’t know.

I always wondered why those had been limited to 2 or 8 instead from start and now requires a FR for that ;)

Perhaps somehow related to that is also your FR Add drawers to output ports. Guess if we want user defined output numbers for select nodes, drawers have to be enabled for outputs.

I ended up using the 8-input Select Latest 2-input Select Latest nodes as well… but came up with a ridiculously convoluted way of using a bazillion more nodes to get the exact same result… your way is SO much more elegant!

I thank-you for pointing out how much I was overthinking this… I keep forgetting you can hold down Option and strip out data to just leave it an event and use it to trigger just about anything.  

2 Likes

Turns out I ended up having to go a different route after all. The Select Latest node was working great for my test still images but as soon as I got into video sources it was no longer suitable for selecting my sources (since video is a steady stream of images it’s always being chosen as the Latest source). However I ended up using the 8 input Select Latest to output the number of the source on my Select Input node and used combination of compare numbers, math node and a True/False node to split the output to the proper Select Input node. Seems to be working well now.

I was even able to make a “Take” button along with a “Dissolve” and “Cut” button to select what transition type I wanted between the current video source and the one coming in. Super smooth transitions and live video even at 3360x1080 resolution output!!! Amazing!  

2 Likes