Send Art-Net Messages stutters when composition window isn't active from time to time

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Send Art-Net to another computer
  2. Browse the internet or write a document
  3. Get stutter

Have you found a workaround?

Making the composition window active near-instantly restores smooth playback

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.1
  • macOS version: OS X 10.10

It might take a minute or so for the stutter to happen after switching apps after making the composition active, but then it should start lagging pretty bad.

Magneson, we haven’t been able to reproduce this. Steps tried:

• Start with the built-in Send/Receive Art-Net Messages example compositions.
  • Change the sender to cycle colors, just to be able to see that it’s running.
  • Run the compositions on the same computer.
  • Start another app (Firefox), in addition to several already running.
  • Go away and come back after 1 hour.

With these steps or similar, do you see the lag? (Maybe you don’t have to run it for a full 1 hour…) Or is there something else that needs to happen to trigger the problem?

Can it be a priority setting somewhere? I have 42 channels sending color data, modulated by a requested frame source, and held with a Fire Periodically node set to .025 seconds. It jumps right back to smooth playback once I activate the composition viewer.

If you check out the attached composition, using a parabox node for displaying framerate, it drops if you go to for instance Facebook and scroll up & down rather fast. If you use f.lux, and it is set to turn off for the editor/comp viewer it also heavily impacts the framerate when switching between applications. I also experienced some issues with the “Fire Periodically” node today when using it together with a JackOSX audio input where it wouldn’t fire faster than about two events a second, even when it was set to .01 and .001.

FrameRateTrouble.vuo (6.6 KB)

This problem sounds similar to the one you reported on Facebook where the composition would take an App Nap. We’ll look into it more.

Thanks, great!

Fixed in Vuo 1.2.2.