Shadertoy Shaders To Screensavers Suggestions

Hi guys,
I think there are potentially on the web some folks who would love to export / use some Shadertoy shaders as screensavers.

As suggested by the team, to test this, I passed some license compatible shadertoys shaders to Vuo :

• IQ - Iterations - shiny : Shader - Shadertoy BETA
• KIK - klk’s Simple Plasma : Shader - Shadertoy BETA
• JoshP - Simplicity : Shader - Shadertoy BETA

My fav is KIK’s plasma ;)

PS : The authors and the links and the link to the licenses are inside the shader codes for each file.

Shadertoy In Vuo For Screensaver Suggestions_1.1.zip (7.02 KB)

2 Likes

These are beautiful selections! Thanks! Exported screensavers attached.

Iterations - shiny.zip (4.4 MB)

Simplicity.zip (4.41 MB)

Klk Simple Plasma.zip (4.42 MB)

2 Likes

Okay Jaymie this is AMAZING ;)
Thrilled to see you managed to add an icon image as well as live preview in the gallery preferences ! Very well done !

I noticed they get exported with this plugin generic icon instead of the default OS X screensaver icon but cmd-i on the file and just deleted the icon there and it automatically uses the default screensaver icon so really really cool.

Using KIK’s plasma as my screensaver now and already shared ;)

Thanks for pointing out the icon — fixed now.

klk’s Simple Plasma 1.0.1.zip (3.87 MB)

1 Like

Can I please request an updated export that will work with the newest macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and Big Sur? The current version you have available was broken with the release of macOS Catalina. I also would like to task if its possible to tie audio parameters in VUO to the video shaders and other elements that create the visual in the app for more creative expressiveness?

Hi Rob ;)

The problem is, even if someone exports it again, it will not be code-signed, and therefore won’t run on Catalina and Big Sur. See feature request for code-signing apps & screensavers : Code sign and notarize exported apps.
It has quite a lot of votes, and with Catalina and Big Sur making it harder to open unsigned and unnotarized apps, I expect the Vuo Team to hopefully implement that sooner than later.

Only thing would be to export it yourself, but it requires an Vuo Pro license.

I know I have seen some tutorials to code-sign unsigned apps afterwards on the web if I’m right, but this is a screensaver, and I’m not code-speaken skilled enough.

Cheers

@RobertMStewart and @Bodysoulspirit — Possibly all that needs to be done is to re-export the screen saver with the current version of Vuo — which we did for the attached version. Rob, could you try it and see if it works for you? After downloading and unzipping it, right-click and select Open (specifically right-click-Open, not just double-left-click), then acknowledge it’s from an unidentified developer, then it should open. In our testing, we confirmed that “klk’s Simple Plasma 1.0.1.zip” fails to run but the attached screen saver works.

I also would like to task if its possible to tie audio parameters in VUO to the video shaders and other elements that create the visual in the app for more creative expressiveness?

To some extent. With the Shadertoy node, you could feed audio loudness or other numerical parameters into the Mouse Position input port. There’s also the option to create ISF shaders, with more choice of data types for input ports.

klk-plasma.zip (2.5 MB)