Shards in make fisheye render

Steps causing the bug to occur

I have a composition that uses the make fisheye render node to create a 180 degree fisheye for a dome installation, see photos attached. On my Intel based Laptop and MacMini it works fine. But on a M1 based MacMini I get regular shards of triangles flashing across the rendered fisheye image. Ideas of what this might be? Really worried about this one.

Have you found a workaround?

No

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.1
  • macOS version: macOS 12
  • CPU: arm64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Yes, the problem occurs consistently when I follow the steps above
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

We tested the fisheye example compositions with on an M1 Mac Mini and an M1 MacBook Pro, both running Vuo 2.4.2 on macOS 13, and they worked correctly. So let’s figure out what the essential difference is in your case.

I’m not sure if you’re using the Make Fisheye Camera node or the Warp Image with Projection Mesh node, but do you see shards or other glitches when you run the example composition for that node? If so, could you post a screenshot? (The example composition is in the node documentation panel. Select the node in the node library, then scroll down in the lower panel to the example.)

If you don’t see a problem with the example composition, could you attach a simple composition + image that does exhibit the problem, along with a screenshot?

@pbourke sent us a composition demonstrating the problem, and reported that it happens both on ARM and Intel.

We found that the problem happens when you use the Make Fisheye Camera node and there’s a 3D object on the same plane as the camera, like in the attached modification of the Show Trees With Fisheye example composition.

It’s possible to avoid the problem by moving the 3D object or the camera so they don’t coincide. In the next Vuo release, we plan to add the ability to set the near and far clipping planes for the fisheye camera (similar to the Distance Min/Max ports on other camera nodes) as a way to avoid the problem without moving the camera.

Show Trees with Fisheye.zip (235 KB)

Fixed the flickering shards in Vuo 2.4.3. We also added “Distance Min” and “Distance Max” ports to Make Fisheye Camera.