Slider bar defect

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Create a slider and slider theme as in the attached.

Have you found a workaround?

No, although I haven’t played with exactly what aspect of the theme is the cause but I can change the length of the defect by changing the Track Border Thickness, eg: try 0.002 gives a tiny defect.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.2
  • macOS version: macOS 12
  • CPU: x86_64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Yes, the problem occurs consistently when I follow the steps above
  • How severely does this bug affect you? Not much; I’m just letting you know about it.

slider defect.vuo (7.86 KB)

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 11.51.54 am.png

We tested on a few different computers and displays, and the slider border renders a little differently on each one. On some it’s just fine, on others (yours being the most extreme example we’ve seen) it’s uneven.

The problem seems to be with the rounded-rectangle shader’s antialiasing code. It relies on GPU partial-derivative values, which differ surprisingly between GPUs.

Unfortunately there’s not really a good solution at this time. Fiddling with the shader code to make it better on one GPU is likely to make it worse on another. The situation should be better in the future with enhanced vector path support. Since there’s no good action to take at this point (and you indicated that the bug isn’t all that important to you), we’re going to close this bug report.

Thanks for investigating.
I’ve noticed occasionally something similar with text which seems like a slice has been removed horizontally.
If I notice it again I’ll send through, could it be a similar issue?

Weird. We’d have to see it to diagnose it. It’s most likely unrelated to this issue since text rendering involves different code.

This might have to do with default subpixel rendering. I couldn’t find it right now, but there was a gamedev talking about this in context of a falling game of some sort where AA was done very well.