Stereo Boss

This is a typical stereoscope. The basic maths behind it is VERY simple. However I added a bunch of frills that may make it more useful for video artists. Remember that to use a stereoscope you need to have a stereo audio signal (too obvious?). So if your input is the laptop mic for example, it won’t work. You’ll have to have audio coming from a stereo line input (if you have one), or routed internally using something like soundflower.

The trickiest thing I did here was to add some maths to visually widen the stereo. If the audio you’re receiving is narrow it won’t look terribly interesting. I made it so you can crank it up to get a more interesting effect. This required quite a lot of nodes and was a bit clunky, intuitively I think this should have been possible with just one equation but I couldn’t figure out how. Anwyay… it works!

features:

audioGain - self explanatory
skipcount - reduces the number of dots in a crude way
framerate - slows down the frames in a crude way
dotsize - self explanatory
blur - not super interesting but it’s one of the features of the shader node so I made it a parameter
halo - as above. If you want to change the colours you’ll have to use additional effects, sorry.
rotateBase - diagonal also looks good
widenStereo - as discussed, this parameter increases the stereo width of the signal in advance
bypassMidSide - this disables the stereowidth controls, mostly for bug-testing purposes but I left it in there

stereoBoss.vuo (17.2 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you for the composition. I would like to recommend a little(but important) thing;

When you use multichannel(18ch) audio interface, it “samples and hold” all the channels, CPU gets very high.

You can add “Cut List” node after “Receive Live Audio” node and cut the list for only 2 channels.  

1 Like