Strobe a Light with a delay between each flash

Hello

I want to flash or pulse a Light (almost like a strobe effect), so that the brightness transitions from 0-1 then back to 0 again - but so that there is a delay of a number of seconds before it starts again. I’ve looked at the various example time compositions and can’t figure it out.

Ultimately I was interested in trying to animate the brightness of a light to a BPM, maybe every 8th measure or something but I thought I’d start with just setting it to animate after a number of seconds, but been unable to get anywhere.

I thought using a curve node with Loop set to Mirror would work with some sort of delay after it, before it resets and flashes again, any tips? :pray:Attached my current file… thanks!

Agreed, I think in Vuo we’re missing 2 or 3 simple delay & time nodes. And for some curves too, am constantly looking for solutions for such simple things.

Here I guess you should use the Schedule node which is a bit complicated, because you have to set a third time input even if you need 2 signals (see joined comp).

PS : you can connect the “Make 3D Point” node to “Allow First Event” instead of the time node to save some computing ressources ;)

Strobe.vuo (2.44 KB)

If you simply want it to flash without a curve, you can also use a simple flash like in the joined comps below.

On another note, if you wanna flash to the sound, what I’ve found out works quite good (beside the BPM node which takes some seconds to analyse the song, or feed the BPM manually if you know it, or analyse certain frequencies), is to use a sound wave image and analyse the lightness of a certain point on the image (see below also). It’s a cheap method ;)

Cheers

PS to the team, it’s funny I’m getting different results wether I use a rectangle layer or an oval layer. Better results with a rectangle, even set to full roundness if I wanna get a circle.  

EQ On Wave Image - Fullwidth 1.1.vuo (4.2 KB)

EQ On Wave Image - Flashlights.vuo (4.83 KB)

@Bodysoulspirit apologies for the late reply, yeah a simple delay node would be dope. Schedule node was a bit tricky to figure out but I get it now thank you. And cheers for the tip to save resources :open_mouth:and of course for all the comps! I’ll have a look at each of them, thanks a million!

1 Like

@Joëlle — Here’s another solution…

@Bodysoulspirit — I’m not sure what difference you’re seeing between rectangle and oval layers. Could you please create a bug report or separate discussion with more details?

BeatStrobeTest.vuo (3.17 KB)

@jstrecker that’s a great solution thank you.

I’ve attached a version of @Bodysoulspirit’s Schedule Node approach with a cube & scene so I could see the point light in action. I have a slightly separate question:

When would I use Allow First Event instead Fire on Start? If I connect Allow First Event to Make Cube it doesn’t render the cube but Fire on Start does. Why is that?

Why should I not use Fire on Start instead, why use Allow First Event at all?

1 Like

Fire on Start works for normal compositions. For protocol modes, it’s better with Allow First & Allow Periodic because there is a general published time.

Also Allow first & periodic works for normal AND protocol modes.

The reason why one would want to use Allow First Event rather than Fire On Start is because you use 1 and the same only event stream. If you use several Fire On Start and also Allow First Event and also Fire on Display Refresh for time, you have a chance they don’t start at the same point on the composition start, and you may see some things render slightly before others.

Although there are cases where you could want that.

Using Allow First Event I do see the cube, don’t you ?
I would however start with 0 instead of 1 brightness, to avoid starting the flash too soon after starting up, otherwise it’s so close to the start the first flash seems glitchy.
Joined.

Strobe 1.2.vuo (5.1 KB)

2 Likes

@Bodysoulspirit thanks for the explanation, makes sense.
I do see the cube now, user error! Cheers for the comp, as always :blush:

1 Like