texture mapping errors on movie export

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. image generator protocol - 3d scene with multiple rotating sphere objects with image textures
  2. export movie

Every xth frame the texture will not be mapped correctly causing artefacts in video.

The issue only occurs when exporting a movie, not when playing realtime.

Have you found a workaround?

Yes. I changed the composition to run realtime and created a fake time with count storing frames to video file. The created file is clean.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.2
  • macOS version: macOS 12
  • CPU: x86_64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Yes, the problem occurs consistently when I follow the steps above
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It’s annoying but I can work around it.

also created a discussion item around this: https://community.vuo.org/t/-/7119

Planets.vuo (125 KB)

planets.zip (34.9 MB)

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 09.29.39.png

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 09.29.49.png

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 09.30.05.png

Looking at your movie frame-by-frame around one of those “every xth frames” where there’s a blip, we saw that the specific problem is that the Earth’s rotation is off by several degrees for that one frame.

On some systems (my coworkers could see it on his, I could not on mine), the blip is also noticeable when running the composition normally. So it’s not a problem specific to movie export.

It looks like something is off with your calculation of Earth’s rotation for certain time values. Maybe those exact time values only come up at certain framerates (e.g. your movie export at 24 fps), or maybe it’s just more noticeable at slower framerates. Anyway, the attached composition demonstrates.

Planets-earth-slow.vuo (16.8 KB)

1 Like