USB camera ... no image

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. No image from USB camera.

Have you found a workaround?

No

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.3.0
  • macOS version: macOS 10.15
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

I have UC80MPA USB video camera from Spinel.
https://www.spinelelectronics.com/pdf/UC80MPA%20Specification.pdf
It registers itself correctly “8M USB Camera”.
Works in Skpye, for example.
But I don’t get an image in Vuo.
Tested in version 2.3 and 2.2.1
Ideas?

Paul,

Could you please send us the debug-mode-enabled console output when running a composition with that camera selected?

Enable:
defaults write org.vuo.Editor debug -boolean true

Disable:
defaults delete org.vuo.Editor debug

Thanks for the debugging information you provided separately. It wasn’t as helpful as we would have wished. We didn’t see any obvious errors.

Could you download and run https://github.com/smokris/AVRecorderPlus/releases/tag/1.3 — does the camera work with that? You might need to try changing the various settings at the top of the window to get it to work. If you can find settings that work with the camera, and let us know which settings work and which don’t work, that might help us get it working in Vuo (since Vuo uses some of the same code as that app).

Just to cover all bases, have you checked System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Camera, and make sure that Vuo is in the list and that the checkbox is checked?

@pbourke,

Thanks for the effort to help us troubleshoot. We appreciate it.

To recap, you:

• verified that the camera is allowed in System Preferences.
  • tested the camera with AVRecorderPlus. Since it didn’t work, that implies the camera doesn’t work with the framework that Vuo uses for camera capture (Apple’s AVFoundation).

We don’t have the resources to implement support for individual cameras that don’t work with AVFoundation (although we are open commissioned work). A possible workaround would be to find some other software that can read the camera image and feed it into Vuo via Syphon or NDI.