Use soundcard directly as an audio input

Currently when we wanna share a video or screencast of a live audio reactive composition we can either play the sound out to the speakers and input it in the microphone again (default macOS behavior) or for higher quality, use soundflower to use the sound card directly as an input, and change the input to sound flower in Vuo. But you need to go to system preferences and choose soundflower every time.

Would it be possible to change this directly in Vuo, to use the sound card directly, as an audio input beside “default” Do the same as soundflower but without soundflower ?

This will be mostly useful when Enable composition’s “Start Recording” menu item to record audio will be implemented, until then, we can use Quicktime.

PS : I don’t understand a lot about audio ;)

I use Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback for this purpose: it is based on Soundflower, but with updated code and features. It works very well with Vuo.

I’m not sure what you mean by the “need to go to system preferences and choose soundflower every time”, because I haven’t use Soundflower in conjunction with Vuo and when using Loopback with Vuo, I certainly don’t have to do that.

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

2 Likes

Thanks @kewl !
Did not know Loopback, definitely a much better experience !

With Soundflower since it was 1 source at the time, I always had to change it back and forth depending if I wanted to hear or record, with Loopback you can do both thanks to virtualization ! Thanks !

It would still be cool to be able to do this all from within Vuo but you made my life easier ;)  

1 Like

It would still be cool to be able to do this all from within Vuo

I think that’s covered by Receive Audio from Application.

1 Like