Using more than 3 Feedback Image nodes crashes x4000 GPU Driver

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Create a composition that has more than 3 Image Feedback nodes
  2. Play push video data into all three
  3. Either composition crashes on ATI based x4000 GPU systems, or adding another Image Feedback will crash system

Have you found a workaround?

Use less Image Feedback Nodes, max 2.

Other notes

• How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

I believe this may be related to the currently known x4000 GPU Driver bug that occurs when rendering multiple textures. I am letting Team Vuo know about this behaviour as I knew about the x4000 bug with nodes such as Scene Make Image but not with Image Feedback.

Current and only work-around for me is to use a Nvidia GPU.

Looks like the same underlying problem as bug report X4000 graphics driver crashes.

For that other bug report, the problem involves Render Scene to Image. Image feedback, for this bug report, uses the same underlying mechanism (OpenGL FBOs).

Other nodes that may be be affected:

• Render Layers to Image
  • Render Scene to Stereo Images
  • Warp Image with Projection Mesh
  • image filters
  • 3D object filters

I’ll make a note to remind us to test image feedback when addressing that other bug report.

Thanks @jstrecker, I really did get an appreciation of how serious this bug is when building a live video engine for our Cave Show over the weekend. Lots of Render Layers to Image were used so I could fade multiple elements in with a MIDI slider. I’m just glad I had a Nvidia GPU handy! My first large show on Vuo! The beginning of many! ;-D

1 Like