Variable bitrate @ save to movie

I´m playing around with the save to movie node, trying to change the video quality in the format parameter on the fly. Can´t really seem to get it to work.

Am I doing something funny here? Or is this a feature, ie is the format parameter only read at the start of the recording?

Any feedback appreciated!

Patch attached.

RecordMovie var bitrate.vuo (5.3 KB)

The format is only read at the start of the recording. (It’s a constraint of the underlying macOS framework we’re using for movie recording, AVFoundation.) Hm, we should mention format in the node’s documentation, in the paragraph about “Certain characteristics of the movie are determined when saving starts, and can’t be changed while saving is in progress…”

Were you just experimenting, or was there something specific you wanted to use variable bitrate for?

Hi Jaymie, thanks!

I´m trying to make a bit crusher for video. ie a patch that has a slider that changes the bitrate of the video stream on the fly. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Apple had some videos at WWDC 2017 about their new H265 compression and streaming etc they stepping it up, but needs latest hardware CPUs I think. Just trying to think if any streaming software I’ve used can change bit rate on the fly? I don’t think so…

I have not tested this at all, but maybe you could record a series of 1-frame movies each with a different bitrate (use the Finalize port to end one movie and start the next) and then assemble them back into one movie using a composition like the attached.

combine-movies.vuo (2.67 KB)

Documented for Vuo 2.0 beta that movie files can’t change format during recording.