.... vuo can't be opened

Steps causing the bug to occur

Feeling nervous, I’m getting the attached error message.

Have you found a workaround?

No

Other notes

• Vuo version: 2.4.2
  • macOS version: macOS 12
  • CPU: x86_64
  • Have you been able to reproduce the problem? Yes, the problem occurs consistently when I follow the steps above
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

Feeling nervous. Is the composition corrupt. Happened while editing.

spherical mirror calibration corrupt.vuo (74.1 KB)

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 2.42.52 pm.png

Open the composition in VSCode or similar text editor and check if there are any obvious errors in the file. I haven’t had this happen before, but it might seems like it has corrupted in some way. If you are lucky, it’s just a small thing.

Hey, jumping in here as I have the same issue out of the blue with a file, noticed about 2 weeks ago but not had chance to post yet. Haven’t changed anything and I don’t think I updated Vuo since I last opened the file. It’s my only copy so been wondering how to fix…

Edit. I hadn’t opened the file in ages and came to open it to export screenshots and got this error, was not working on the file at the time.  

I looked at it in a text editor, nothing obvious to me but then I’m not familiar with the syntax.
I attach the composition in the original post, but please note that I had a backup so not a pressing issue for me.
May be different for Joëlle.

From looking at the composition in a text editor, it appears that the reference to the “Togglehamdler” subcomposition got corrupted.

If you’d like, @pbourke, we could repair the composition file for you, if you could first upload the subcomposition. Though you did mention that you have a backup.

@Joëlle, we might be able to do the same for you. We’d have to see the composition file(s).

@pbourke, do you happen to remember if you did File > Save to User Library or Move to User Library just before you got the error? We have an internal bug report where we’ve seen similar symptoms when using that menu item, and I’m wondering if your case is the same or not.

Thanks for looking at it, but no, I don’t need it recovered as I had a backup.

It is true that I had the ToggleHamdler (from Modules) open at the same time and was editing both it and the main composition. But I wouldn’t have done a Save or Move to User Library since it was already in Modules (I had earlier duplicated a similar item in Modules).

Thanks everyone, I’ve emailed you @jstrecker :)

In Vuo 2.4.4 we’ve fixed at least some cases where the composition file could become corrupted in this fashion (missing node identifier). If you encounter any more “Graphviz couldn’t parse the composition” errors, please let us know.

1 Like