Vuo Editor clicks go "through" multiple windows

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Have multiple editor windows open
  2. Edit/start compositions

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.3
  • macOS version: OS X 10.11
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It’s annoying but I can work around it.

I’ve noticed on several occasions that having multiple windows open makes mouse clicks and/or drags go “through” one composition, and does stuff in the underlying window. It’s not exclusive to the latest version, but I haven’t really thought about it before (trying to) debugging a composition with multiple sub-comps. The drags on the underlying compositions can move around objects and in the worst case disconnect cables rendering the composition unusable, and difficult to debug as you suddenly have disconnected something without noticing.

So far we haven’t been able to reproduce this. So, if you figure out a reliable way to make the problem happen, please share.

It sounds like an issue with the GUI library (Qt). Possibly related to the bug where drags are occasionally initiated without a mouse press. We’re planning to update to a newer version of Qt in an upcoming release, so let’s see if that fixes it.

It often happens when starting the compositions - perhaps every time it happens. Most of the time it drags the library out of the dock, but sometimes it can place a new node on the canvas, or in the worst instances remove or add a cable to someplace it doesn’t belong. After thinking about it while writing this, and if I can speculate freely, I think it might have something to do with the mouse click not always being released from Vuo Editor after starting the composition. So when moving the mouse after starting it, the underlying window(s) would detect the mouse button as being down, and if there is a small lag from starting the composition, the position would be read as over either the node library or the canvas.

1 Like

@MartinusMagneson, are you still seeing the problem in Vuo 1.2.4? We updated to Qt 5.6, which fixed some mouse-related bugs.

I haven’t noticed it much lately, could perhaps have something to do with competing applications, not sure. Haven’t gotten to try out 1.2.4 much yet as the windowing thingys get a bit too troublesome to work with, and I have a gig coming up where I planned to use CoGe that as far as I know doesn’t support 1.2.4 yet.

(CoGe does support Vuo 1.2.4, as of CoGe 1.7.2. Imimot has always been quick to update after Vuo releases.)

Aha! Maybe he has to update the Vuo page :P, then I’ll give it a go!

@MartinusMagneson, if you’re still seeing the problem with Vuo 1.2.7, let us know. Marking closed for now.