Vuo running slow in VDMX

Hi,

I have set up a pretty basic HUE Checkerboard composition to run in VDMX and it is reacting very slowly when loaded into a layer.
I built the test comp after Jaymie’s example: https://community.vuo.org/t/-/5061

When I drag the slider around the hue reacts slowly and is choppy.
When I create an audio analysis plugin, it runs fine without the Vuo comp loaded, but when I load the Vuo comp, I can see the audio reactivity peaks also getting choppy / freezing etc.

Running 2011 MBP 16GB Ram, SSD drive…
Has been pretty good running visuals before!

Running at 720p

Help?

Edit: When I run the comp in Vuo itself, and play with the HUE slider in the Protocol-Input area, it runs smooth and awesome :)

Edit Edit: When I run a regular, and much more advanced Quartz.qtz patch it also runs flawlessly / as expected.
As well, I have tried with “Run Vuo files in Separate Processes?” both checked and unchecked (and after restarting VDMX).

:D

1. Is it a Image Generator or Image Filter .vuo file?
  2. Where did you install the .vuo file?
  3. Try attaching a data source to the slider inside VDMX. Any difference?

Azy (@krezrock)

• It is an Image Generator

• The .vuo file has been tested both installed on the same drive,- SSD, in Documents/Vuo Projects/
    As well as on a 2nd internal HDD, in Documents/Vuo Projects/

• When I connect the Audio Freq 1 Data Source to the HUE Slider, the lag seems to become intermittent, rather than constant; I can snap fingers and see the Frequency Visualizer, Slider and hue itself in the output all change gracefully, but they still lag/lock up, every two seconds or so.

INTERESTINGLY!

• When the Freq Visualizer and Hue ‘output’ lock up, the Slider still remains fluid; this leads me to believe it’s something in the graphical output locking up, despite all the info and inner-workings still functioning? And by that I mean, I really still have no idea ;)

Hmm !

Any thoughts @jstrecker ?

Tested the attached composition on a computer with GeForce GT 650M graphics card. Didn’t see a problem — the Hue slider reacted quickly and smoothly.

@mstjean, is this essentially the same as your composition? What GPU do you have?

HueCheckerboard.vuo (2.13 KB)

Ok ! @jstrecker thank you! I think you’ve solved something larger here :)

Your comp with the Twirl node worked great. So that got me looking at the differences: Time input.

I guess without having Time input driving a node (in my original comp) in the Image Generator, it isn’t constantly listening, so it seems.
I created a new Comp, replacing the Multiply with a Subtract node that just subtracts Time from itself (because I don’t want to have a Twirl effect all the time ;)
Attached comp for reference.

Let me know if you think there is a great issue here with VDMX or how Vuo comps are run- I wouldn’t think I should Have to input Time in order to get updates every frame, but it seems like something is up to that effect.

Also this isn’t the place for it, but when I ‘Add new comment’ to reply in these forums, it would be great to see the previous replies to better make reference to them :)

Cheers!

SimpleHUETest.vuo (2 KB)

I guess without having Time input driving a node (in my original comp) in the Image Generator, it isn’t constantly listening, so it seems.

Not sure what’s going on here. There should be events coming in through all published input ports, not just time. Could you post your non-working composition?

when I ‘Add new comment’ to reply in these forums, it would be great to see the previous replies to better make reference to them :)

Feature Requests - Vuo Community :)

Hey @jstrecker thanks for all the help.

I’ve attached a similar comp to that which you created (HueChecker), except I took out the ‘Multiply->Twirl’ nodes.

Now ‘Time’ input isn’t going anywhere; when I load the comp into VDMX, it is very unresponsive. Lots of lag.

I can’t delete the Time input from an Image Gen protocol, so I have to do Something with it, even though I don’t need to use Time for anything in a sound-reactive Image Gen.

Thoughts?

HueCheckerboard_NoTwirl.vuo (1.45 KB)

[mstjean] I guess without having Time input driving a node (in my original comp) in the Image Generator, it isn’t constantly listening, so it seems.

[me] Not sure what’s going on here. There should be events coming in through all published input ports, not just time.

Oh! The “event into any published input goes through all” behavior was added in Vuo 1.2. VDMX is still using Vuo 1.1. Presumably VDMX is only sending events regularly through the time port. For now, you can work around it by hooking up an event-only cable from the time port to the nodes that need events.

Amazing, thanks @Jstrecker!

To save me some potential time, can you clarify what you mean by event-only cable? If my comp is, as above, just “Make HSL Color” → “Make Checkerboard Image” nodes, where would I send time? Should I cancel it out with a Subtract node and send to the Center input on “Make Checkerboard Image”, for example?

Thanks. Hopefully the awesome lads at Vidvox will implement 1.2 soon!

Cheers

Event-only cables are the thin cables. They don’t carry any data, so there’s nothing you have to cancel out. You can draw one by connecting a cable to a triangular (event-only) port, as in the composition below, or by holding down Option while dragging a cable.