Vuo using CPU for HAP playback?

Steps causing the bug to occur

Hello, hoping someone can compare their experience playing back HAP-encoded content in Vuo 1.2.8. I’m finding that Vuo appears to be using CPU for HAP playback on the two systems I have available to test (MacBook Pro with dGPU running 10.13.6 and Mac Pro with GTX 1070 running 10.12.6):

Pretty simple to reproduce, using “Play Movie” node with HAP-encoded movie file as input, then seeing these results on the MacBook Pro:

CPU usage for 2560x2560 HAP-encoded playback: Vuo: 250% VLC: 70% QC with the CoGeHAP Player: 25%

For 1080p content: Vuo: 100% VLC: 35% QC: 15%

Video files are encoded with Apple Compressor, AVF Batch Converter, QuickTime 7 Pro, no effect on the issue. This is my first attempt at using Vuo to replace some utility QC compositions, hopefully I’m missing something or having an issue unique to my setup.

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.8

We’re seeing similar results with a 1920x1080 Hap1 video (Gadane Fega Hap HD.mov from Hap Sample Pack One 1080p), tested on one computer. Vuo 1.2.8 is using a lot more CPU than VLC (Vuo = 101% – 125%; VLC = 25% – 58%).

As it turns out, Hap has two APIs: a simpler one that Vuo was using and a more complicated one that is apparently the fast one. With the fast API, the same video uses much less CPU (12% – 19%). We’ll switch over to the fast API for the next release.

Implemented in Vuo 2.0 beta.