display pdf in scrollable window

Can someone tell me how to display a pdf please ? Ive tried loading into a ‘make image from url’ but doesnt work.

For PDF files on your computer, Open Document will open them in macOS Preview or whatever you have configured as the default application for opening PDFs.

For PDF files on your computer or the internet, Make Image from Web Page will output an image of the PDF, and you can use that node’s Scroll Mouse input port to scroll through it. See the example below. If the file is on your computer, the Load URL port needs the absolute path to the file (like /Users/jaymie/Downloads/sample.pdf, as opposed to a relative path like sample.pdf), which you can get by dragging and dropping the file onto the port while holding down the Option key.

pdf.vuo (2.7 KB)

Thank you. I’ve tried all this and indeed even your example just doesnt work for me. Even if i use get filepath node etc so i know file path is correct. It wont display any pdf i throw at it. All i get is the ‘example domain’ page.

Appreciate your efforts though. Thank you

If you go to Tools > Show Console and then run the composition, does it show any errors? Feel free to save the console output to a file and attach it here.

Doh ! Facepalm… I wasnt holding the option key. It works now. Thank you.

If i wanted to bundle the pdfs in the app. Is that possible ?

If using Open Document with a relative path typed/pasted into the URL port, the PDF file should be copied into the app bundle automatically.

If using Make Image from Web Page, it’s trickier since the node requires an absolute path. However, you can work around that by using List Files to access the Contents > Resources folder within the app bundle, as in the attached example. You’ll need to manually copy the PDF file into that folder. (If you run into a “Nodes not installed” error when trying to export the composition to an app, please try with Vuo 2.4.2.)
pdf-bundled.vuo (4.3 KB)

Thank you so much Jaymie ! Thats incredibly helpful and good to know. Much appreciated

1 Like