Enable composition's "Start Recording" menu item to record audio

Currently it only does video.

Cool !

Do you have any idea what sound input will be used ? Default ? Or the available inputs as an option (like Quartz Composer’s record screen allows) ?

Default would already be cool !

I also just realized in Vuo 1.2.4 when Receive Live Audio is set to default, it uses the currently input set in the System Preferences which is really cool !

It’s handy to record the sound in better quality, I usually use Soundflower to record and if I’m right in Vuo 1.2.3 even when set to default, I had to manually set the input to “Soundflower” on the Receive Live Audio input port even if it was set in the OSX preferences.

Please don’t change that it’s great ! ;)

Do you have any idea what sound input will be used ?

Our thought is to capture any audio that the composition outputs (via Send Live Audio). For example, the “Play Movie with Sound” and “Play Audio Wave” compositions would be recordable without any changes. To capture audio from a device of your choice and record that with the composition, you would use Receive Live Audio -> Send Live Audio.

like Quartz Composer’s record screen allows

QC doesn’t have record screen. Did you mean QuickTime Player?

I also just realized in Vuo 1.2.4 when Receive Live Audio is set to default, it uses the currently input set in the System Preferences which is really cool !

Yep! AFAIK Vuo has always used the system-default audio device by default.

1 Like

@jstrecker ok thanks

Our thought is to capture any audio that the composition outputs (via Send Live Audio)

Ok that would take some extra nodes, but not too much.

QC doesn’t have record screen. Did you mean QuickTime Player ?

Definitely yeah sorry. I’m using Quick Time to screenrecord the audio compositions right now.

Yep! AFAIK Vuo has always used the system-default audio device by default.

Damn seems you’re right. I thought I already had tried it several times but had to manually set it to “Sound Flower” as an input but just tried it with Vuo 1.2.3 and seems to work too when set to default. My fault.

Hello there,

Not sure if I understood correctly, but it is possible to record audio in the composition? I’m trying to record using the example of above, (Play Audio Wave), but no audio is recorded.

Is there any other way to do it? I would like to record incoming audio at the same time with the video.

Thanks in advance :wink:

@uge, if you want to record audio as part of the video, you can do so by adding a Save Images to Movie node to the composition (instead of using the Start Recording menu item). See File > Open Example > Video > Record Movie.

Thanks @jstrecker! That’s exactly I want to achieve. Very helpful. I can record now the microphone audio, but I wonder if I want to record audio that I’m generating in my computer. Should have some kind of loopback then? Or there is anyway to assign the outputs of my audio interface? Thanks in advance!

Hi @uge; i think you should relay on thirdy part software like Blackhole.
regards
michele

2 Likes

@cremaschi is correct. To add to his answer, you would need the audio to go BlackHole or Loopback or a similar application. In the Vuo composition, you would select the virtual audio device created by that application. Specifically, on the Receive Live Audio node, you would either select from the menu on the Device port (double-click on “Default” to show it) or connect one of the Specify Audio Input nodes to the Device port.

If you click on the Receive Live Audio node to see its documentation, then click on the “Audio” link at the top of the documentation, that will take you to documentation for the Audio node set that has some info about selecting audio devices.

If you happen to be generating the audio within Vuo, then you don’t need to do anything with audio devices — just replace the Receive Live Audio node with your audio nodes.

Hello there, thanks for helping, :) I’ve used Blackhole and now it is working. I recorded my first video with audio just now :smile: so happy with the result. Thanks again!

2 Likes