Very slow performance for certain graphics on certain ATI and AMD GPUs

Steps causing the bug to occur

1. Run composition

Have you found a workaround?

use older machine to run composition!

Other notes

• Vuo version: 1.2.1
  • macOS version: OS X 10.11
  • How severely does this bug affect you? It prevents me from completing a specific task with Vuo.

I have been working on this composition for a show in london. I worked on it at home and it worked fine. Then i take it in to run on the club machine and it wont work on any of them, even though they are higher spec. In the end i ran it off my spare machine which is the oldest and slowest machine out of all of them! I really need to know why it wont work on the fast machines, if you are able to help, please?

Will work on:

MBP 15" 2.6GHz i7 running Yosemite
MBP 2.66GHz intel core 2 duo running el capitan

runs about 4fps on:
Mac Pro 3.7ghz quad-core xeon E5 (yosemite) 12gb ram
MBP retina 2.8ghz i7 8gb ram.

Thanks

display atmos logo 03 3band .vuo (52.1 KB)

1 Like

(This bug report was branched from discussion Very slow performance even on high spec machines.)

We were able to reproduce the problem (and inconsistency between GPUs) on some computers here:

• Mac OS 10.11.1, NVIDIA 650M — 60+ FPS
  • Mac OS 10.11.1, ATI 5770 — 3 FPS
  • Mac OS 10.11.1, AMD 7970 — 3 FPS

We’ve recorded some time profiles and have some hypotheses about what the problem might be. Will investigate further.

1 Like

AMD FirePro D500 is under-performing as well. AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver

@krezrock, do you mean for the composition that @meno posted or a different composition? If a different composition or set of compositions, would you mind creating a separate bug report and attaching some of them?

Several times when compositions have been slow on a specific GPU, we’ve traced it back to a specific node or group of nodes. For example, the GLSL source code for a certain node may use an operation that works fine on most GPUs but slows things down on some particular GPU.

Sorry for the delay in response. I’ll post the composition that runs fine on mobile GPU, and runs poorly on the AMD D500.

@jstrecker See Bug Report here:

https://community.vuo.org/t/-/5545